Posted: Jun 24, 2013 11:18 AM by Adam Bell
Updated: Jun 24, 2013 7:14 PM
UPDATE: 6/24/13 7:12 P.M.- Information about Belgrade city ordinances added to story.
As the 4th of July approaches, the Bozeman Police are reminding residents of the rules for fireworks within the city limits.
Fireworks can be discharged on private property with the owner's permission. Fireworks can only be discharged in the city on the following dates and times:
-July 3 12:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m.
-July 4 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m.
-July 5 12:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m.
Fireworks may not be discharged in certain locations, including:
-Any public street, alley, road, or right-of-way
-Within three hundred (300) feet of any public park
-Within 1000 feet of any hospital, nursing, or assisted living facility
-Under or upon a motor vehicle, whether moving or not
-Within 300 feet of any gas station
Police are also offering several safety tips, including:
-Children should be supervised when around fireworks
- Children under 12 should not handle fireworks
- NEVER pick up a firework that is a "dud". Wait 20 minutes then soak with water first.
- Avoid areas that are prone to fires and have a fire extinguisher and water with you.
- Discharge fireworks in a manner that does not endanger life, limb or property. Don't combine or use fireworks in the wrong manner.
- Follow instructions printed on the fireworks.
Extra patrols are planned during the holiday, focusing on impaired driving.
Click here to see Belgrade's city ordinances regarding fireworks.