Posted: Jan 1, 2013 5:08 PM by KXLF Media Center
Updated: Jan 1, 2013 5:13 PM
The Butte-Silver Bow Fire Department recommends updating your portable space heater this winter.
Newer models have an automatic cut-off. The heater will turn off if it is tipped over or covered with a cloth, according to the fire department.
NorthWestern Energy reports several fires have sparked this year due to improper use of portable heaters. Officials say keep plenty of clearance around the heater. Keep away from bathtubs, showers and sinks. Use heaters in a supervised area. Avoid plugging in heaters where an electrical circuit could overload. Don't use heaters indoors that are fueled by gas or propane.
If heaters are properly vented it can be a source of carbon monoxide. Symptoms of carbon monoxide include headaches, nausea, vomiting, fatigue and confusion. Seek fresh air immediately if you suspect carbon monoxide. More information is available at www.northwesternenergy.com.