Posted: Mar 3, 2013 8:11 PM by Bernie Riggs - MTN News
MISSOULA - A Missoula City firefighter was hurt on Sunday morning while responding to a shop fire on the 2700 block of Schilling Street.
Crews were called to the scene at around 10 p.m., and arrived to find flames and heavy smoke coming from the front of the building.
Authorities say a firefighter was hurt when he fell about 15 feet off a ladder onto a pile of scrap metal and other debris. He was responsive at the time and was taken to St. Patrick Hospital to be evaluated.
Battalion Chief Troy Ault says the building sustained extensive damage but appears to salvageable, adding the fire was a little tricky due to some of the materials inside the shop.
"The building is completely full of mechanical equipment, engine stuff, and also it had a lot of liquid fuels in there as well as gas. So it was a little difficult to put out at first and it did take some foam as well as some dry chemical extinguishers to get the gas out," Ault explained.
The injured firefighter will be spending the night at St. Pats for observation, but fortunately Ault says his condition is improving.
There's no word yet on what sparked the blaze.