Posted: Dec 26, 2012 3:47 PM by MTN News
BILLINGS - Firefighters responded to a fire in a Billings Heights trailer home at about 8 a.m. Wednesday.
A Billings Fire Department official said the fire caused about $500 in damage to a bedroom, but the family had the fire handled by the time firefighters arrived.
"It was basically out when we got there," said Fire Marshal Mike Spini.
Spini said a 4-year-old child playing with a lighter started the fire.
"Be careful where you place lighters and matches, and keep them out of reach of children," Spini warned parents. "And teach your children that if they do find [lighters and matches], to tell an adult, [and] not to play with them."
Spini said there have been two fatalities in the past year as the result of small children playing with fire.