Posted: Jul 23, 2013 2:00 PM by Shannon Davis
Updated: Jul 23, 2013 2:05 PM
BUTTE - A family of four safely escaped from their home early this morning after it caught on fire.
The fire at 4812 Hutch Drive started in a portable fire pit, Butte-Silver Bow Fire Investigator John Lasky said.
The family used the fire pit on Sunday. They moved the fire pit up against the garage when they thought the fire was out.
On Monday, wood chips were placed in the fire pit. Early Tuesday morning the wood chips ignited.
The fire traveled up their garage and into the attic.
Smoke never entered their house and smoke detectors did not go off.
The father woke up when he heard a propane pipe twisting, which reportedly sounds like a loud whistle. He alerted his wife and family, and they escaped safely and called 911.
The damage totals about $50,000.
Officials say fire pits should remain 8 to 10 feet away from any structure.
- Photos courtesy of Butte-Silver Bow Fire Department