Posted: Sep 13, 2013 7:27 PM by Brin Merkley - MTN News
Big Sky High School was open for class on Friday despite a bomb threat and a warning of a school shooting.
Big Sky High School students returned to school voluntarily on Friday morning after the school gave everyone the option to skip class. The school received two threats - a bomb threat and a warning that a student would be shot.
Despite some students who did not take up the option to miss classes, an empty parking lot indicated that many seats would be empty on Friday.
A senior at the high school, Wyatt Smith said, "I think I'm a little bit more nervous this time than last year when this kinda happened but the way I feel about it is probably the person who did this, is probably not here today."
A freshman, Mari said, "I don't know, I don't really think it's real, like the threats. I mean they could be but I'm not really worried about it. I just think it's like a normal day."
Another senior Givan Kearns said, "It's going to be a short day at school, because no one is going to show up today, which is kind of stupid because I think this thing just got blown out of proportion. It's very simple as that."
Others drove past the school purely out of curiosity. One local said he was even concerned about the Big Sky versus Sentinel football game set for Friday night.
"We heard what was going on and you know the kids were gonna go to the game tonight but we don't think we're gonna let them go ya know... A threat's a threat," she said.
School officials, however, say presence will increase at the game as well as at school on Friday and throughout the next week.